Think on this...

When I was in my late teens, I would sit up and read into the night. Last night I was reliving some of those times. I stayed up and read, "Home Fires" by Charles L. Allen. It is possibly out of print now. I got it at our church camp bookstore this past June. It is a treasury of wit and wisdom.

One entry that I like was by Henry Van Dyke an American author, educator and clergyman. It is as follows:

Are you willing to stoop down and consider the
needs and the desires of little children.

To remember the weakness and loneliness of people who are growing old;

To stop asking how much your friends love
you, and ask yourself whether you love them enough;

To bear in mind the things that those who
live in the same house with you really want, without waiting for them to tell you.

To trim your lamp so that it will give more
light and less smoke, and to carry it in front so that
your shadow will fall behind you.

To make a grave for your ugly thoughts,
and a garden for your kindly feelings, with the gate
open?



Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933)

No comments: