Fun Day

Today was a fun day. I was looking through some old recipes and found several that were from old family and friends. Of course, Merrill said most of them were dead. But, that is part of the fun of making old recipes. I made some dumplings, which are little squares of rolled dough that you drop in chicken broth. My Grandmother Mullins, Mom's mother, made those for family outings years ago. My Grandmother Phillips & Grandmother Mullins both made great biscuits like Cracker Barrel. Grandmother Phillips made awesome pies and cakes and Grandmother Mullins made these great little apple turnovers out of dried apples.

Mom makes a great Southern meal of soup beans with ham pieces, hoe cakes, fried potatoes, beets, onions and a great peach cobbler. That's a meal that I grew up with and eat on a regular basis, with different variations, at their house. You just don't get tired of it!Oh, yes, one last entry - I made panoche fudge today, also. My mom made it a lot when I was a little girl. It is made with brown sugar, milk, butter & nuts. Now, that was fun!

3 comments:

LJL said...

Merrill can make great homemade egg nog. Just don't operate heavy machinery or drive after drinking. Just kidding about the warnings.

Connie Lavy said...

We did make egg nog when the kids were home, but that was a long time ago. We need to do that again. I just like FRESH farm eggs to be on the safe side. Totally Un-alcoholic!

Betty said...

I don't suppose you had any samples leftof the cooking did ya?????