First We Pray





"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievious." I John 5:3

I was reading in I John this morning and I looked at this scripture. My thoughts, God did not give us a set of commandments that we could not keep. They are simple. They make life go smoothly. They are the foundation of a good life and without that foundation we will fail.

Our greatest asset...Prayer! Prayer changes things. Americans are great about talking things to death. I do not know how we got to this place. Well, I guess I might have an idea, but that's another story. The one we should always talk to first is God.

There was a radio program a few years ago that read books on the air. In one particular book the lady used the phrase, "First we pray!" I have always loved that phrase and I believe it and try to act on it. It's not about us, it's about God. It's about God's will and what He wants. That's what's hard, our will vs God's will.

What does that have to do with what I was reading this morning? This..."Thou shalt have no other God's before me," Commandment #1. The first commandment and "first we pray". We are putting God first by praising Him, by remembering needs and by taking our problems to Him. If we love God, we will keep His commandments. Yes, I'm preaching, but most of the fingers are pointing a me.

First we pray. Act on God's guidance and go forward.

Have a great day!

No comments: