Papa's General Store

Papa was a kindly man, quiet and godly. I don't think that we realized the impact that he made on people, until he was gone. Maybe, that is as it should have been.

I remember Papa and Mama praying in the dining room every morning, kneeling at their chairs. I think that made a life long impression on me about the importance of prayer. For you see, that was their God given strength, through prayer!

When Papa died, I was 13 years old, but I remember people getting up all over the congregation and telling of the things that he had done for them. Things that others did not know about. He wouldn't have wanted the praise in life. But in death, he brought remembrance to others and they told of his good works. He was a great example of how a Christian should live. I still miss him. There are times that I get a lump in my chest even after all these years. I still love you Papa!

Papa’s General Store

I remember Papa’s General Store.
With A Big front porch across the building.
Wood framed siding.
Covered by an old metal roof.

Walking through the front door into its many wonders.
My childish eyes saw many things.
A unique interior of wood, walls, and shelves
That held many surprises.

Letters waiting in little boxed openings.
Waiting for their owners.
Bills to be paid.
Letters to be shared.

Many beautiful colored yard goods.
Lined up in a row.
To be made into shirts, dresses and blouses.
Carefully cut, and rolled in a brown paper and tied with a string.

Stick candies waiting in jars.
Little hands reaching up to take hold of their treasures.
Smiling faces.
Rewarding enjoyment.

Redwing shoes.
Can goods and staples.
Clothing.
A general supply of needed goods.

The old potbelly stove.
Surrounded by wooden chairs.
Tall tales.
Camaraderie beholding.

Wonderful times.
Are forever in my memory.
Always tugging at my heart.
Never forgotten.






Connie Lavy 2006

2 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like Papa was a good man. I wish I could have known him.

Connie Lavy said...

You would have loved Papa and Papa would have loved you!

The building in the photo is not his store. That is a building that I inserted into a photo project that I was doing, a few years back when I was working on getting my Desktop Publishing Certificate. It was as close to his store as I could find.