Your Light...

"Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and gloryify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

I've been reading and studying Jesus sermons the last few weeks. I like to do this when the world seems to be pressing in. I feel His guiding and comforting presence so much more. The words that Jesus spoke in this scripture is good for today.

I like this scripture because it reminds me that I have an obligation to do good works towards my fellow man. A call of encouragement to a lonely individual, a small gift of appreciation, a helping hand, a smile & a prayer for a passing stranger. So many times, it's me, mine and ours. God says it's the world around us. No, works does not save us. But, reaching out and showing God's love to those we come into contact with is showing God's love. We are the only Bible that some people will read.

This morning I was looking for a picture of an old saint of God called, Sister Hill. When I was a young mother at home with my six children, I often felt like I wasn't doing much for God. Preachers were preaching about becoming missionaries and preachers. I failed to see that all Christians were called to minister to those around them. Sister Hill would stop me at the front doors of the church when I was leaving and she would say, "This is your church, your ministry." That helped me so much. For you see, she was ministering to me, a young mother with a desire to serve God. Well, my children are grown now, but I still have a ministry and that is the world around me. Every which way I turn there are sinners and people in need.

I didn't find her picture, but I did find this little card which I will share with you today.




Take My Hand

When life gives you
challenges and you need
strength to survive,
be reminded of a friend's
hand selflessly reaching out
to lead you to
a closer walk with God.

Take my hand,
I am by your side.

unknown

No comments: