Day of Rest & Reflection


Memorial Sunday Memories
Today, my family will be celebrating Memorial Sunday at the cemetary up on a hill in KY. When I was a girl we always went. My parents are still faithful to go. There is a preaching service and decorating of the graves. Heartfelt memories of those who have passed on. Then we would have dinner on the grounds. Several years back we stopped having dinner on the grounds, but the service and decorating is still observed. Then, we would go to Berea, KY where dad's parents are buryied for a 21 gun salute. That is how we observed Memorial Sunday.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Mom, didn't we do that too? when we was little?

Love Beth

Connie Lavy said...

Yes, we did for awhile. I think you were around seven when we stopped going. I have a lot of fond memories there. We've had so many pass on that it has made such a vast change. I talked to my mom and there was a good croud. There are still those that have dinner on the ground. Mom would like to see the cemetary put in new tables so more families could have dinner on the ground again. My Great Grandmother Mullins is the one who started the dinner on the ground tradition in that particular cemetary. She lost three babies under two to typhoid fever, I think, and she had a longing to make it a family time. She had several living children. I thought that was interesting information. I need to get more details for our family history.