Papa's General Store



Today, I was thinking about my Grandfather Phillips, "Papa", who had a general store in a little berg called Three Links, KY. The store is long gone, but there are many wonderful memories of Papa and Mama. Papa was a well liked kind Christian man. I remember early in the mornings Papa and Mama kneeling in prayer in their dining room.
They both died when I was in my early teens, but at times they come to mind. I still miss them. I wrote the following poem two or three years ago.

Papa’s General Store

I remember Papa’s General Store.
With A Big front porch across the building,
Wood framed siding,
Covered by an old metal roof.

Walking through the front door into its many wonders.
My childish eyes saw many things,
A unique interior of wood, walls, and shelves
That held many surprises.

Letters waiting in little boxed openings,
Waiting for their owners.
Bills to be paid.
Letters to be shared.

Many beautiful colored yard goods,
Lined up in a row,
To be made into shirts, dresses and blouses.
Carefully cut, and rolled in a brown paper and tied with a string.

Stick candies waiting in jars.
Little hands reaching up to take hold of their treasures.
Smiling faces,
Rewarding enjoyment.

Redwing shoes,
Can goods and staples,
Clothing,
A general supply of needed goods.

The old potbelly stove,
Surrounded by wooden chairs,
Tall tales,
Camaraderie beholding.

Wonderful times
Are forever in my memory,
Always tugging at my heart,
Never forgotten.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Mom,
I wish I could have known him. He seems to be a very kind guy. I’m glad you have good memories of your grandpa.

sherryldickinson said...

Connie, you sure are blessed with a rich & colorful heritage. And, I have enjoyed reading about it here on your blog. Love, Sherry