Memories



This morning my thoughts are of my "Kentucky Roots." I was five when we moved to Ohio. We came North because Dad wanted to better his job situation. He worked at GM until he retired. Our old house in KY is torn down now. I do remember some of the things that happened there. I remember the horse caught in a fence and laying on its side. I remember the butchering of a big white hog. I remember a picture, which mom and dad still have, hanging on the wall.

Today, I am a little sad. Another cousin, a little distant maybe second or third, passed away. He was three months older than I am. His name was Bently Hayes and my Great Grandmother Martha raised him. I remember my brother and I playing with him as children. We always had loads of fun playing with our KY relatives. Granny Marthy had a little house at the base of a hill and to get to the house you had to walk across a log which had been sawed flat on top. Of course, this is Appalachia, if you find that hard to imagine. We would play in the creek in front of her house. Of course many years have passed and I have not seen him probably since my teen or early twenties. There are lots fond memories of our youth.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Mom,
Sorry to hear that you had another death in the family.

It is nice to remember the good ole day ;-)
I love you
Beth